Home

You are not logged in.
Language: French

#1 2012-09-28 19:59:24

X-RaY

HoF Feedback

Most of you will have noticed by now, after circa 4 months without any new demos, the hall of fame is back in action.

This post is to give you guys some idea on how the demos are processed.
As some of you know..... you guys upload a lot... and by a lot I mean... up to 35 a week (ouch)
Now, given the fact that watching an average demo takes about seven minutes (starting urban terror, watching + timing demo, closing urban terror) this can take up to a merely four hours,
excluding the rest of the process: converting to avi, uploading to youtube, adding the record to the half of fame, attaching video in the hall of fame etc, I was in need for some... automation.

For the past few weeks i've been working on a dm_68 to avi convertor (for Mac... sorry all other os-folks)
And now, thanks to jmarc, I've finally got a script, stable enough for release.
One of the problems I came across was to detect when the /video command should be fired... and offcourse how this should be done.
At first, the script read out the system.log to search for a specific line which urban terror generates as soon as the demo is fully loaded.
Then via gui-scripting the scripts sents a F10 to urban terror, which in turn knows it's a /video command (due to /bind F10 video)

For some reason, this worked both fine and horrible at the same time. For some demos the F10 was sent at the right time. Other demos on the other hand were running for a good 10 seconds before receiving the video command. Which for a hof... is unacceptable.

Thanks to jmarc, who gave me the command to start a demo from the command line for Linux, I was able to port that command so it would work on the Mac.

Apart from tons of other problems... that was about the hardest one.
So what does this script actually do?
well... in a few simple steps:
- Look for the ioUrbanTerror.app in your filesystem.
- List all dm_68 files in the demofolder into a variable.
- Iterate over the list and for each demo in the list:
..- Open the demo with ioUrbanTerror with a +video flag.
..- Detect whether the 'video0000.avi' file is created in the videos folder.
..- Stop urban terror, rename video0000.avi to the name of the demo
..- Next demo
When all demos are done converting the script returns a list of the maps which couldn't be played since these weren't in the q3ut4folder (yes, I detect that too... on a few conditions though)

During this writing... I actually had that very script running all the time... converting demos to avi.
Anyway... So now I have a bunch of avi-files which I import into a movieeditor.
Here is where the timing of the demo actually happens.
I put the avi on the timeline and search for the part where the first jump is made.
Ofcourse, this jump has to be made regarding finishing the map.... so a few jumps before your actual run won't do your time any harm smile
So how does this work in icymaps? where your first spacebar-touch might be at somewhere at jump 8?
In icymap I look for the first frame of the first swing to make speed.
These two methods give me a very stable starting point.
I cut of all the video-part before this very starting point.

After that, I move to the end of the videofile and look at which point you'r ending.
This ending part is a little bit trickier.
Take for example the end of vertigo, here the ending part is as soon as you finished the final jump after the elevator shaft.
But at that point something interesting happens due to the nature of jumpers....
Some jumpers have an immense amount of speed at the end of the jump, they hit the wall and then fall down to the floor.
Other jumpers on the other hand have just enough speed to hit the floor as soon as it begins.
Previously timed demos stopped as soon as you'd hit the floor.... but in my opinion, that isn't quite fair, since jumpers with more speed will be higher (high and speed in the same sentence.... hmm yea) and thus for them it'll take longer to hit the floor.
Taken this in mind, I took a point which will be fair for both 'slower' and 'faster' jumpers.
This point is an imaginary 2D raster which is located parallel and exactly on top of the very edge of the ending part.
What this means is if a fast jumper gets to the last part of the jump, at a certain point is doesn't matter anymore what happens, even if he falls straight down due to lag, he'll still land on the edge of the final floor.
Same goes for slower jumpers: as soon as the stop moving in midair (theoretically that could happen) and fall down on the final floor, they finished the map.
So what does this mean for jumps where people have to grab instead of land?
The grab is somewhat simpler.... the timing stops as soon as you grab the ....grab wink
As for ladders, the timing stops as soon as hit grab the final ledge.

All the video file after that part I cut away as well, leaving me with a part of the videofile in which the run is done.
I look at the final time of the video and that final time, which is accurate to one-hundreds of a second, is the time in which a jumper has made the map.

After that, I put the slider (of the movieeditor) at the beginning of the map and slowly slide it through the complete videofile to search for cheats, save/loads, lemmings etc.

Then I'll take a look at the hofs which already exists of that very map...
If the new demo is in the top 3 of all the demos of that map I upload it to youtube, input the correct tags, title, description, genre, playlist and other info and attach it to the demofile smile

Then I'll throw away the demo, the avifile and start with the next demo.
The whole timing of the avi-files after they are imported into my videoeditor takes about 30 seconds per demo.
Submitting to the hof only takes a few seconds and if needed uploading takes a few minutes extra.

Well... there you have it... the complete story of the demofile after one of you guys have uploaded it.

Now, without the help of jmarc, this wouldn't have been easy as it is today. Thanks to his awesome server and clientside scripts a lot of work is already done automagically.

For those of you with a Mac... if you want to have the first public prototype of the script, send me a pm and might give the script...
After using the script, feedback is very welcome. Any bugs, features or anything else, please do tell big_smile
Note that the script will be encrypted and execute only... for now. So at the moment no source-code will be published.

A few gotchas you need to know before using the democonvertor:
- dm_68 files labeled with a green label won't be processed... this is an exception which you can turn into your advantage to have demos in your demo-directory without converting them.
- The script checks if the map of the demo exists, this is done by getting the first part of the name before the first '-'
so for example: <mapname>-<jumpername>-<time>.dm_68 will work just fine
mapname should be the complete name, without the .pk3 at the end:
for example: ut4_dontgetwet_dev
If you don't want this feature, please note so in the pm, so I can give you the script without checking for map existence.
Note that you will have to do that manually... the current version of the script will run forever when the demo can't be loaded due to a missing map.
- Don't remove demos without a green label from the demo-directory (~/Library/Application Support/Quake3/q3ut4/demos)
The script will crash if you do.
- Don't remove the video0000.avi while converting... just saying....
- Don't remove the video0000.avi.index.dat while converting... just saying....

There might be more gotchas.. but for now, that's it smile

Excuse me for not reading my own lengthy post to check for grammar or spelling mistakes...

Last edited by X-RaY (2012-10-06 22:55:33)

“Don’t judge everyone else by your limited experience.” - Carl Sagan

#2 2012-10-05 10:05:00

GaMeR
Jumper

Re: HoF Feedback

Samchun's .40 chrono is other way. Older one is another way. .40 one shouldnt be prev chrono, Samchun must be 1st place in normal way.

http://www.urtjumpers.com/halloffame.php?id=186

akekirkyedi
Murunfuffuffu

#3 2012-10-05 14:20:46

X-RaY

I know, already spoke with Samchun via pm about it.
Previous uploaded demos were also 'way 1', while Samchun is the first one to do 'Way 1'
the normal way is 'way 2'.
He'll reupload when he's back from paris and then all will be okay smile

#4 2012-10-05 21:21:36

Driller

Hmmmmm.

Wanna do hof of all alternative ways?

Icyjmups5d shortcut is almost 2 minutes and has a few jumps. Sounds okay.

I dont know the projumps shortcut, but if its like rhapsodicjumps then i wouldnt make a entry for it.
Same for bisjump (jump1, jump 2 for the half, then final jump) i wouldnt make hofs of the shortcut.

O, and we should clean up brickjumps hofs, now all ways in 1 entry

Just some feedback -)

Last edited by Driller (2012-10-05 21:22:24)

#5 2012-10-05 21:46:32

Samchun
Map maker

Nah the HoF on projumps is the noob path. No shortcuts.
Anyway i have the same opinion than you driller heh

#6 2012-10-06 17:58:28

X-RaY

I've rewritten the first post in this topic.
All y'all might wanna read it... or not...
hope you'll read it... it's cool ^^

#7 2012-10-06 18:36:04

Driller

If you wanna break your brain like i do for 4 months, read the first post!

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/cheer.gif nice job X-RaY http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/cheer.gif

PS: Dont forget to try with .urtdemo the new demo extension for urt4.2 !

Last edited by Driller (2012-10-06 18:38:19)

#8 2012-10-06 18:53:20

Samchun
Map maker

4.2 sucksss

#9 2012-10-06 19:11:22

Markinho
Map maker

nou

​​http://steamsignature.com/status/english/76561198045330231.png

#10 2012-10-09 13:12:06

Markinho
Map maker

I see the nofail star you added there... up

​​http://steamsignature.com/status/english/76561198045330231.png

#11 2012-10-19 21:41:29

Samchun
Map maker

Add the possibility to show the HoFs posted by Time, Rank and map name.

Last edited by Samchun (2012-10-19 21:42:08)

#12 2012-10-19 22:05:42

Driller

Not sure what you mean, you talk about the frontpage of hof?: http://www.urtjumpers.com/halloffame.php

I think its okay as it is now, if u wanna know about all demos you have to click on each of them indeed.
Maybe the idea of showing the place of among all other demos of a map would be nice.

Example:
Samchun
»Pro Jumps 1
Samchun
»Xan Jumps 1

You wanna see number 1 next to your hof each time ? xD

#13 2012-10-19 22:05:58

jmarc
webMaster/noobJumper

Samchun wrote:

Add the possibility to show the HoFs posted by Time, Rank and map name.

Do it yourself in spreadsheet wink
http://www.urtjumpers.com/divers/fichie … ll_HoF.csv

Too big database request to put script as public page.

Last edited by jmarc (2012-10-19 22:11:44)

#14 2012-10-19 22:08:32

Driller

O_O

Have fun guys haha

#15 2012-10-19 22:43:48

Samchun
Map maker

Hm not sure you understood.

When you are here : http://www.urtjumpers.com/download.php You can show maps by level, name, size, mapmaker, etc... by clicking on level, name, size and mapmaker.

And, it'd be cool to do the same thing for this kinda of webpage : http://www.urtjumpers.com/halloffame.php?jumper=494 . For example you click on "Rank", and you see the runs with the best ranks, if you click on mapname, it shows the maps in alphabetical order like now.

#16 2012-10-20 12:29:36

jmarc
webMaster/noobJumper

I am sure I understood now smile
I can't do it exactly same as Donwload page, but it works! ... I guess w/o bug

stuff only available if your user group is  "Jumpers" or "Map Makers"
http://www.urtjumpers.com/forum/userlist.php

{edit} click on "Time" is really usefull?

Last edited by jmarc (2012-10-20 12:31:52)

#17 2012-10-20 12:32:30

Samchun
Map maker

Wow thanks a lot ! Good job up

#18 2012-10-21 15:25:36

Noxtty
Map maker

What's the little star next to my DMC1 HoF? To show that I did worse than my other run? sad I was scratching my monitor (but really I was XD)

btw, i wonder how Urtjumpers registered in 1970 oO

Last edited by Noxtty (2012-10-21 15:27:29)

Dating the girl of my dream, but ye, I made pulsar guys, my proudest moment of my life <3

#19 2012-10-21 15:27:13

Exception

Nofail u.u

Which is the difference between Urban Terror and the other war games? The Jumping mode !
http://gamessigngen.altervista.org/games/urt/result/LoulProJumpException1381s2.png

#20 2012-10-21 15:36:33

Driller

Yes, a no fail STAR!

If im correct, on small maps you have to do all no fail to get a no-fail-star.
On big maps you have to do all no fail but you might fail a prejump or so, and still get a no-fail-star.

You like that guys?
Or you want a no fail star if you have no fail/flaw whatsover? Any fail, flaw, mistake, hesitation is a fail, or?

Last edited by Driller (2012-10-21 15:50:48)

#21 2012-10-21 15:54:00

wraith
Map maker

i like it

#22 2012-10-21 16:13:33

X-RaY

@Samchun:
Your deathjumps demo is a great attempt to pass the map. But the hofrules state that the demo should start from the spawnfloor and end at the endfloor, after which you need to to make any jumps further.
Since your demo started on top of jump one (making you skip the first jump) the hof is invalidated.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
Note that the moderators unanimous agrees about it smile

#23 2012-10-21 16:20:29

Samchun
Map maker

yup sry gonna make a new one

#24 2012-10-21 16:26:00

wraith
Map maker

heh deathjumps.. prolly haven't jumped that map since it came out.. gonna go jump it right away methinks.. kinda miss being that n00b learning jumps.. sad man that was fun

#25 2012-10-21 16:26:40

Noxtty
Map maker

sweet, but erm my DMC 2 is also a no fail, nope?

Dating the girl of my dream, but ye, I made pulsar guys, my proudest moment of my life <3

Board footer